Saturday, May 17, 2008

Is it time to wake up?

"I haven't seen Nanny in a long time," Jack said.
I stopped singing "The Old Rugged Cross," the first song in our nightly ritual. "No, you haven't. Do you remember that Nanny died: We buried her in the ground. We won't see her again until Jesus comes. Then, Nanny will come up out of the ground and go with us up into the sky to meet Jesus and go to Heaven.
Jack stared up at the green stars scattered by his night-light across his ceiling and thought for a moment. "In Heaven, Nanny will never, ever, ever, EVER die again?"
"That's right. Nanny will never ever, ever, EVER die again." He was quiet, so I started singing again.
But Jack had one more comment, "Airplanes take us to airports, but clouds take us to Heaven."
I grinned into the darkness, "Yes."
Yesterday a friend of mine sent me a link to a sermon series by David Gates called, "The Extreme Series." I listened to the first sermon yesterday. Now I wonder, are we deep in the darkness of the early morning? Are we the bridesmaids that were all ready when the cry went out in 1844, but who have fallen asleep now since such a long time has passed? Will we awaken in time? Are we among the wise with the extra cruise of oil?
I almost never watch TV. I live in blithe ignorance of the events surrounding the times. I hate seeing reports on crime, economic depression, world wars, starvation, and murder, so I ignore it. I suppose it's a bit like refusing to look at the sky. Is it fair, or cloudy? Are there severe thunderstorms ahead with tornados about to touch down? Should I be running to my Shelter? Is David Gates a modern-day Noah, or is he crazy?
Jesus promised He would return. Do I believe Him, or will a coming Armageddon simply spin us into another dark age of human existence as so many books and movies project. Jesus said he would come as a thief in the night to those in darkness. I don't want to be want to be in the darkness! Give me the Light!


No comments: